Friday, March 6, 2009

Another week gone by...

Soccer training began this week. The uniforms were all layed out (by the boys that is) in the morning ready for the afternoon. Caleb asked me numerous times after lunch whether it was time to get dressed yet, and when there was still 1/2 hr before he needed to start dressing, he was all prepared :)

They were so cute to watch once at the field. The coach called out the names for each team, and when called, Tim walked across with his arm stretched out behind Caleb's back to guide 'lil brother over too. Caleb joined in all the drills fine, but I think he felt a bit lost/overwhelmed when it came time for a little practice game- so many boys, and more than usual per side, who were all bigger than him. He kind of stood his ground and watched from that position. He didn't look upset though, so that was a good sign.

I had my first try at making tortillas. The recipe made 12, and took 45 min to cook them! But a great way to use any leftover roast meat - just add to stir fried vegies and roll up, or fill with salad ingredients for lunch. We had it both ways.

Overnight Tortillas

6 cups freshly ground whole wheat flour

3 tsp. sea salt

6 Tbl. whey

plus enough lukewarm water to make a soft dough.

Mix flour and salt with your hands. Measure the whey (acts to break down the phytates in the wheat) into a measuring cup and fill with the water up to about 2 cups. Add the water to the flour and stir with a fork. Add more lukewarm water or small amounts of flour to the dough until you get a nicely mixed soft dough. Flour the counter and turn out dough. Knead for a couple of minutes. Leave on floured counter, well covered, over night. The next morning, roll out tortillas and bake on a hot griddle.

Ever tried goat milk shampoo?! Sound luxurious/natural etc?! Well, I did, in an unintentional way... At the meal table, I (obviously absent mindedly) picked up the goat milk carton, and thinking it still had the lid screwed on like a few minutes earlier, gave it a good ol hearty shakin' up!! Well, it sploshed everywhere of course, but mostly over my face and head :( I just sat confounded at my ignorance and feeling rather silly. Until I heard one of the boys say "it's not funny- don't laugh", at which I quickly realised how funny it actually was and laughed out loud. Dear me, must say my hair felt soft when I ran the brush through it after, tee hee!!

Stop, drop and roll. Following our reading of a library book by this title, Tim and I had a lengthy discussion re in the event of a fire, that you only need to get people out (and not worry about things, such as lego). I think it finally hit home when I mentioned that insurance pays some money towards replacing lost posessions, but we can't replace people. I also used the moment to remind him that when we die, we can't take anything with us either, only the eternal is important.

No comments: