Monday, March 16, 2009

Just because

Our (not quite authentic) sushi meal - a combined effort of Steve and I:

Everyone asked why I was taking a photo of that?! Well, I guess just because I was pleased with the result, and they looked good in a bundle on the plate! Maybe I'm just weird....

I like to make them with a mix of brown rice and quinoa (cook together), and fill with avocado, cucumber, carrot, strips of scrambled egg and chicken. Quinoa is a very high protein grain which originated in the Andes mountains of Bolivia and Peru as a staple food of the Incas. It's gluten-free and rich in L-lysine, phosphorus, calcium, iron, B vitamins, and vitamin E. Make sure you soak it overnight, to get rid of the bitter coating that is it's natural protection from bugs.

And if you're into eating nori (!)- try cutting the sheets into smaller squares, lightly fry in coconut oil, sprinkle with sea salt, and you have nori chips! Our 3 demolished them in no time the other day for morning tea.

No comments: