Sunday, December 28, 2008

Sugar-free Christmas!!

Thought I'd share some of my recipes for some nutritious, sugar-free snacks I made for Christmas:

  • Chocolates
  • Mix together: 1/2 C butter (softened), 2 heaping Tbsp cocoa powder,1 T almond butter, 1 T coconut oil, and 2 T honey. I spooned my mixture into silicon ice block trays and placed in the freezer. Eat quickly- they melt in your hands. (Store in freezer after removing from mold).

  • Spicy Nuts Melt 30g butter in heavy based saucepan. Add 1 clove crushed garlic, 1 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp chilli powder (I just added a mix of cumin, coriander, chili and tumeric) and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. Toss raw nuts of your choice in and continue to stir for 3-5 minutes. Drain on paper towel and allow to cool. (These were very yummy- and I don't have a photo for you).

  • Chewy Coconut Macaroons

Combine 2 C coconut with 1 C coconut milk and let soak for a few hrs. Combine 2 eggs, soaked coconut, 2 C coconut flour (or grind coconut flakes in a clean coffee grinder), 1/8 C coconut oil, 1/8 C butter, 1/2 tsp vanilla and a pinch of sea salt. Roll into Tablsp sized balls and place on lined biscuit tray. Cook at 180' for 1/2 hr.

  • Jerky (see a previous post)
  • Gingerbread men. Just use your usual recipe but I substituted molasses and pure maple syrup for the sugar, and a combination of brown rice flour/arrowroot/buckwheat flour for the white flour.
  • Pumpkin pie with homemade icecream. Instead of the usual pastry base, I tried out my

coconut pie crust:

Mix 2 C coconut and 1/2 C melted butter or coconut oil and press firmly into a pie pan. Bake at 180' for 15 min. Then I filled it with a modified version of my mother's trusty recipe:

pumpkin pie filling:

Beat 2 eggs slightly with beater, beat in 2 C cooked, mashed pumpkin, 3/4 C sugar (I substituted with about half that amount of pure maple syrup, but you could also try honey/rapadura), 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp cloves, 1 2/3 C cream. Pour into base and bake 15 min at 210'C.

Serve with homemade icecream. I won't post that recipe- it's secret. Just joking- this post is already too long. If you really want it- email me :)

1 comment:

Jo Whitton said...

Hi Ang - those recipes look great! I'll have to try the coconut one! I make simple coconut macaroons with honey for the sweetener and they turn out well - a bit chewier than sugar ones. Jo.