Friday, August 14, 2009

Carrot cake

I seem to have a few cooking photos at the moment! I thought I'd try a recipe I hadn't used before from my trusty 'Nourishing Traditions' recipe book. Carrot cake with cream cheese icing. Rather yummy and it makes a large trayful to freeze. Lots of ingredients but easy to make...

2 1/2 C spelt or wholemeal flour
1 C creme fraiche
1 C whole yoghurt

1 C butter, softened
1 1/4 C rapadura
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp sea salt
200g tin crushed pineapple in juice
2 C grated carrot
1 C coconut
1/2 C chopped pecans

2 C cream cheese, softened
1/2 C butter, softened
1 T vanilla
1/2 - 3/4 C raw honey

Mix flour with yoghurt and creme fraiche. Cover and leave for 12 -24 hr in a warm place. Line a 9" by 13" pyrex pan with baking paper.

Cream butter and rapadura. Beat in eggs, baking soda, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Gradually add flour mixture. Fold in pineapple (with juice), carrots, coconut and pecans. Pour into pan and bake at 150' for about 2hr. Let cool slightly before turning out.

To make icing, place cream cheese, butter, vanilla and honey in food processor and blend until smooth. Generously ice the top of cake and enjoy :)

No comments: